Step 1: Get information of the unchurched children and parents into the hands of the Sunday School (SS)
- Before parents night get information from registration cards to the church Sunday School outreach director. The information is entered into the SS prospect file.
- The SS outreach director then forwards the information to the appropriate SS classes. For the children it is the directors, for the parents is a class outreach leader or teacher. They now have the information they need to be good hosts on parent’s night.
Step 2: SS directors, teachers and/or outreach leaders (depending on age group) attend the parent’s night activities and meet the children and their parents.
- Teachers and/or outreach leaders invite the children and parents to join them at Sunday School or Adult Bible Fellowship on Sunday morning.
- Agree to meet the parents and children in the church parking lot or welcome center on Sunday morning. The person who meets them at parent’s night should be the one who meets them on Sunday morning.
Step 3: Sunday morning assimilation.
- Meet the parents and children on Sunday morning as agreed, escort them to their appropriate class rooms and introduce them to the class.
- Offer to enroll them in SS. This should be done by the teacher or outreach leader of the class. (See information about starting a new class on reverse.)
Step 4: The Sunday School outreach team continues to follow up.
- In the children’s department it is the class teachers who are responsible for making contact on behalf of the SS class. In the adult classes the class outreach leader should assign each parent to a class care group leaders.
- Continue follow up with various contacts.
- Invite parents and children to fellowship or special events as opportunity presents.
- Continue to pray for and network with parents and children as appropriate.
- Parents and children remain on the prospect file for at least six months.
Profession of faith follow up
Special attention should be given to children who made a profession of faith during VBS. This will include a counselling visit by a church staff person and/or a church deacon. An alternative is for the VBS teacher to provide that counselling. It should be done in the home and with the parents present and in a timely fashion.
Start a new adult SS class before VBS begins
- It is easier to invite and assimilate new people into new groups when everyone is new rather than attempting to introduce new people to existing classes with existing cemented relationships.
- In advance enlist a teacher, class outreach leader-secretary, and two to three care group leaders. These leaders are enlisted from existing classes.
- Train the new leaders with job descriptions and support resources.
- On parent’s night invite the parents to attend the new adult class.
- Follow suggestions in step 3.
Step 5: Enjoy a well-deserved vacation. Now VBS is over!
Associate for Church Development
Dover Baptist Association